Every Muslim must perform the duties known as the Five Pillars of Islam. The Five Pillars of Islam are the five obligations that every Muslim must satisfy in order to live a good and responsible life according to Islam.
This is the main religious belief of all Muslim people and it is a declaration of their faith. The English words are; There is no God but Allah; Muhammadh is the messenger of Allah
Muslims pray five times a day and follow a special ritual to do so.
Firstly we should wash ( wudu ). This is a special process...
1. Wash hands up to the wrist three times
2. Wash mouth three times
3. Wash nostrils, breathing in and out through the nose three times
4. Wash face three times
5. Wash arms up to elbows three times
6. Wipe head with wet hands, forehead to back, back to forehead
7. Rub outside the ears with wet thumbs, inside with wet forefingers at the same time
8. Wash feet up to the ankles once
The water must be pure, if there is no clean water sand may be used.
The prayers are all said at the same times each day:
1. Fajr- Morning, between dawn and sunrise
2. Zuhr - Mid-day or early afternoon
3. Asr - Late afternoon
4. Maghrib - Evening, around sunset
5. Ihsa - Night, before going to bed
Ramadhan is in the ninth month of the Islam calendar. It is special because it is when Muhammad (Pbuh) began receiving The Quran from God. For thirty days Muslims fast, we do not eat or drink during daylight hours. It starts when the new moon is seen at the start of the month and ends when the new moon is seen again at the end of the month.
Each Muslim gives up a share of his wealth each year to provide for those less fortunate. The word zakat means to purify or cleanse. Zakat does not refer to charitable gifts given out of kindness or generosity, but to the systematic giving of 2.5% of one's wealth each year to benefit the poor. As the person gives up a share of his/her wealth, he/she becomes cleansed from selfishness and greed.
All Muslims who have health and wealth to make a pilgrimage to the Ka'aba in Makkah should do it at least once during their lifetime.